Search this entire Blog and all the posts

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

New Zealand Mags - It begins......

26 April 2010 is the first day for me with NZ Mags and start of the APN Fasttrack Graduate Executive program.

Mixed feelings as I walk back into a building that I was fare welled from only a fortnight ago. Although, I will be on the fourth floor I sense a lot more expectations from me as I am from within the business.

Sarah Sandley, CEO NZ Mags had earlier sent through a most flattering email introducing me and giving an insight about this program to everyone in the department.

Met with Chris Gwin, head of subs and marketing within NZ Mags who is very switched on about the project and what he can use me for. Butterflies slowly disappearing.

Andrew Miller, advertising sales director, has asked me to join him for his weekly team meeting which gives me a chance to see how the team operate and also meet them in person.

The set up is quite unique with the sales managers responsible not only for their people and specific products that they champion but have sales targets on their own too. A most efficient system.

Initial feelings are that this is a fast paced and happy place where people seem to get along with one another.

Have been given business plans for NZ Mags and then each individual title and been asked to go through these as the starting point to get a better understanding of the business.

I have spent most of the day doing that today; Writing down questions for any and everything that doesn't make sense and have filled up about 3 pages of it. Some are jargon related, some strategies and some are just curiosity based (Tip: being ignorant is acceptable)

Also, another good thing that I have been told is that you make your own hours i.e. no one is going to sit and count the clock.

Time to go home...

No comments:

Post a Comment